Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

Christmas Songs: week three


This week is a little more difficult for me to write. I have struggled to choose a song to dedicate to my youngest boy. He's so easygoing and likes so many things equally that I am not sure. One song stands out although it is only because he was making fun of me for liking it.

Country music isn't well received at my house. Not sure why, but whenever I listen to any country music—even mild crossover stuff—ridicule hits the fan. That said, one of my favorite Christmas songs this year is "Let It Be Christmas" by Alan Jackson, so I have listened to it more than a few times. And loudly on occasion. Then we need to sprinkle in some good old fashioned boy humor, and you can see how I've had to endure some stuff for the song I like.

Not sure what set this kid off when the song came on while we were getting ready for church a couple of weeks ago, but he was unrelenting! He even started singing the song with a country twang so loudly that I had to tell him to cut it out, so I could listen to my song. He agreed to only "sing it like the guy sings it" which translated into him being so cute and then tapering off because I'm sure it wasn't nearly as fun as rambunctiously and overdramatically singing with a country twang.

Secretly, I was enjoying his copying attempts, both the overdramatic, pronounced versions and the little while when he was singing right along with Mr. Jackson. I thought about how my dad would have really gotten a kick out of one of his grandchildren trying to sound like a country singer. The whole thing gave me a slice of joy.

While "Let It Be Christmas" is not dedicated to him because he likes it so much, I don't ever want to forget this snapshot in time when my sweet little guy was being a country singer. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so maybe I have a country music secret admirer hiding in there. I guess we'll find out when he gets a little older and can withstand the older children's harassment for liking it.






2 comments:

Tell us your thoughts...