Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

peek-a-boo movies

I remember when I was little, when life seemed simpler and I didn't understand what was going on, how Dad would invite all of us little kids to scramble under my parents bedspread while he held up the covers, then he would begin the Peek-a-boo Movies. He'd tell us stories—very short stories as I recall—and he would build up our anticipation to always end with him shaking the covers wildly and saying boisterously, "Peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo!" thus sending us wildly screaming and even more wildly acting like were trying to escape, totally mesmerized and paralyzed and laughing with slight fear because it was just so completely scary and silly for our tiny selves.

Those days are long gone and many, too many, hard things since have crowded out some of that innocent joy with Dad, but I want to capture the feeling and hold onto it. I want to forgive and let go of the sad, bad, and hard things in life that seem to try to erase any good. I want to love my father for all he tried to do right and accomplished. I want to remember how forgiveness works, and give him all I have and all I want for myself. 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a heartfelt slice. You capture the innocence and joy of that "peek-a-boo" memory so fully. I could imagine the scramble to get under the bedspread and the wild screaming and laughter. I smiled the whole way through, thinking of silly times with my own children. Then you lower the weight of the passing years and all those hard things. The contrast hits home. Hoping you can hold onto the joy of that memory and find a path to forgiveness. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life has many complicated turns. Finding the moments to remember is one way we make sense of it all, maybe, and maybe only later. Or maybe it just gives us another wrinkle of memory.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to remember the good as well. It doesn’t serve a good purpose to dwell on what wasn’t.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...