Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

My Battle Cry: Canta y no llores

Cielito lindo is a Mexican Ranchero song traditionally played by mariachi bands and I am thoroughly enchanted by it. About a month ago, a fellow student in my Spanish class did a presentation which included a video clip of Cielito lindo being sung by a large stadium crowd. I had heard the song many times before, but had never been able to understand any of the words except for the ay, ay, ay parts. Comprehending this poetic and beautiful song moved me so much that I have yet to get that feeling out of my heart and mind.

Each verse has its own poetic merit, but the chorus speaks to my soul:

Ay, ay, ay, ay,
Canta y no llores,
Porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito lindo, los corazones.

English translation:

Sing and don't cry.
For singing gladdens our hearts,
beautiful sweetheart.

(or something very close to that)

The part canta y no llores is in the mandato form of Spanish. So in other words, we are highly suggested (pretty much commanded) to sing and not cry. Sometimes I need to be told a thing or two and this song moves me to sing and forget all my worries. This song has brought me momentary joy in stressful moments. It has reminded me of the healing power of singing beautiful music. Music has always been a big part of my life. My parents taught me to love all music that is lovely and good, regardless of genre or origin. At times like these, when life overwhelms, gratitude wells up into my heart for all the uplifting music I am blessed to be familiar with.

I have not been singing like I should, but I will remedy the situation today. I want to sing and not cry. I want to feel the joy God offers me daily. I want to attain and maintain a gladdened, happy heart.

Muchas gracias to the songwriter Quirino Mendoza y Cortés for capturing this folkloric song, adding more words and a heavenly tune, making it unforgettable and gladdening. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...