Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

ophelia


I don't write about movies often, but when I do it's because I either adored it or detested it. And Ophelia is a winner.

Because of the 1990s Hamlet with Helena Bonham-Carter being shown in my English Literature class in high school, I had the nickname Ophelia since Helena Bonham-Carter is considered one of my doppelgängers. I even had the long and wildly straggly curly hair to match. So when this movie was coming out, I just had to see it. I truly was holding my breath on it since I hate to get my hopes up and get disappointed. Sometimes, movies do that.

One of my biggest worries was that Daisy Ridley would be Rey instead of Ophelia. But she really kept her personal mannerisms out of it for the most part. I could see how she tamed herself to be Ophelia, and I am impressed.

The story was amazing too. I won't get into it too much, but I simply adore how they filled out all of the in between the lines spaces that I never imagined needed filling. It was brilliant and fun and so clever. I look forward to reading Hamlet with my students this year (and picking it apart with this fresh take in mind).

If you love Hamlet or even hate Hamlet, I recommend this movie. It is accessible Shakespeare. It refreshes an old tale while inviting us to look between the lines of other stories as well.

Also—the styling and costuming is immaculate. Simply gorgeous.

You must watch it the next chance you get!


4 comments:

  1. You sure made me curious to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got my curiosity up, too. I absolutely adore everything Helena Bonham Carter does. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in elementary for so long that Shakespeare has been out of my wheelhouse for the most part (we do have G/T students who work on the plays). I will have to refresh my knowledge, maybe check out "Ophelia" in the process!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...