Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

the cranberries

I said a little something yesterday as my initial reaction to the news of Dolores O'Riordan's death on my Facebook page, facebook.com/thepurplelady/

But I'd like to add a little more since I find myself feeling taken aback more than I could ever anticipate.

I'll tell you, after losing both of my parents as a young adult, no one except my siblings and children and my BFF Forever (and potential future husband) could compare in how their loss would make an impact on me. So whenever movie stars and musicians pass away, I see the loss and am empathetic to their families, but I do not go on about how very sad I am. It just isn't true. I see how death is part of life, and it is anticipated as people grow older. The untimely ones are harder to make sense of, but I believe that no one dies before it is their time—even if we can't see that it's their time. That all might sound callous, but it is my honest perspective.

All of that said, I've caught myself feeling sad about the music that will no longer be made because a very special voice has been taken from the earth. I adored the Cranberries. Their music was some of my favorite Alternative music at a time when it was fresh and new. I love the Celtic vibe that reminds me of my ancestry across the ocean. While I don't believe there is any Irish blood in my family tree, the Celtics are more than Ireland, and I am drawn to all of it.

I do not know Dolores O'Riordan, but I loved her gift of song, and my heart goes out to her children and other family. She was only a few years older than I am, and I can't imagine my children not having me around anymore. I realize, too, that she was only a few years younger than my mother was when she passed away. All of these connections are causing her loss to hit home a little harder than any other non-family member thus far.

It all reminds me of how every person makes a difference in our lives somehow.




14 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty. It comes through in your writing. When we care, we also feel loss. Don't know any way around it. I like how you can have compassion for her family and friends. Sometimes celebrities aren't seen as real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working on not objectifying people, so I'm extra glad for you comment pointing out that I have seen celebrities as real people. I hadn't looked at my thoughts in that way. Thank you for stopping by too!

      Delete
  2. I found myself feeling many of the same things when I read this news yesterday. I am the same as as she. Whenever this happens, I find myself reflecting on my own mortality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reflecting on my own mortality is definitely the catalyst for this train of thought. It reminds us all that we aren't promised one more day.

      Delete
  3. I am saddened as well by her death. Such good memories attached to their music

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older we get, the more memories we have--and the more we mourn the loss of those who made the memories. It's as if a little piece of our lives dies, too. A profound post; thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you said "a little piece of our lives dies, too." So true. Thank you for stopping by today and sharing in the conversation.

      Delete
  5. I too loved her voice and the message in her music. This one was taken far too soon. Her music will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her songs just resonated with me so much. It reminds me what an immortalizer music can be too.

      Delete
  6. I have seen several messages posts about this singer who hails from my country. It has made me seek out her music which I did not know. Feeling sad is an expression and a necessary one that arises as it will. Glad you had a way to give that feeling voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could be part of how you were introduced to such a talented musician. I hope you enjoy what you find. Thank you for sharing in my feelings today. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. I still play the Cranberries on my ipod from time to time. I adored her voice and their style and it brings me back to a simpler time in my life as a teenager. I also reflected on her death and the impact on her children. She is also just a few years older than me and I cannot imagine my children having to go through my passing. Hugs to you on your most intimate connection to this tragedy. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have a bit of parallel connection. Hugs right back to you!

      Delete

Tell us your thoughts...