Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

Christmas Songs: week two


Seeing as this is Week Two, you might want to catch Week One if you missed it . . .

For this week's song, I want to dedicate "Last Christmas" by Wham! And so you know, that exclamation mark was forced on me. Why do bands even use punctuation anyway? Seriously. But I digress . . .



My youngest daughter is all about this song right now, and I want to capture this moment in time when she loves a song I love, and she isn't thinking it's weird.

Being a teenaged girl is one of the hardest things there is in life. I remember. Nothing and everything has the potential to make you happy. It's all about what mood you're in. So when we were driving home from marching band practice and "Last Christmas" came on the radio, instantly my girl was happy. She said that it is her favorite Christmas song ever and that it is life—or something like that. I don't remember exactly what she said in this moment, so hopefully I got it right enough.

We listened to the song play as we drove home, singing and car dancing a bit. When it finished, I added how I love the song too and that I remember when the song came out (and changed Christmas music for me forever). We had a small bonding moment right there—or I hope so anyway.

It's a strange thing, beginning to connect with your children as independent entities unto themselves. Strange yet wonderful. One of my favorite things is how my daughter creates playlists and has introduced me to some really great music. I love that my children and I actually share a lot of the same music tastes. It's just more proof that they are becoming amazing people.

Today, I write this song dedication to my mini-me with all the love of a true Wham! fan and a mom who loves her precious girl and in the hope that she will always love this song and not have any broken heart nonsense to poison it for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...