Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

grief bonding



Grasping for words, I call it grief bonding for lack of a better term, so if anyone reading this has something better, please let me know.

I'm talking about that friendship, kinship, and even love that grows between even strangers when coming together to grieve the passing of someone's loved one. It doesn't even have to be your own family or friend who has died, really, if you are grieving for a friend's loss. Mourning is not exclusionary.

Last week, I went to a friend's mother's funeral. I didn't know her, but I wanted to show support to my friend as I understand too well how difficult it is to lose your mother. It's taken a very long time for me to understand my grief, but as I have, I try even more to reach out to help anyone whose parents pass away. As I listened to the tributes and music, I became aware of the similarities in our mothers, and I grew to love someone I won't ever meet.

I also began to contemplate what others might say of me when I die. That's possibly something everyone has considered. Have you? Or maybe I'm weird? But seriously, I wonder.

The experience has left me with much to think about and a new layer of love in my heart for my friend.






4 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to describe it...I like it as a term - very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief does bring people together and adds a new layer to relationships. I want those who know and love me to think fondly, but not have to attend a public funeral. Perhaps they will meet at a restaurant and enjoy a meal remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful description of that feeling, connection. I, too like the term. I love the bittersweetness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. Each time I attend a funeral it reminds me to tell the people in my life how much I love and appreciate them. It's too late when they're gone.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...