Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

the short and TALL of things

I was walking by a basketball player on campus and a flood of thoughts came streaming through my mind:

I figured out that my brain truly believes I am taller than I actually am. Some things are all about perspective, but not this. Thinking you are tall does NOT make you so.

Anyone who sees me play any sport whatsoever will attest that I go for plays that would only be possible for someone with at least two more inches of reach. It gets frustrating for me because I am pretty competitive by nature, and the poor people I am playing with have to deal with me missing some plays they could have made if I hadn't miscalculated. I don't do it all the time, but often enough for me to be irritated that I can't seem to grasp my height and arm length.

I don't quite understand how or why I see myself as larger than I am. Maybe my spirit is bigger than my body; my gene pool fell short in representing my actual self. I will stick with this theory. It just sounds right.

One thing is for certain. Whenever I am around tall people, my brain can no longer fool me and I feel my shortness.

Related Links:

Slice of Life Story Challenge 

9 comments:

  1. This is so cool--you feel larger than your life in all senses of the word. I think this is a good thing. Love your music. I can't stop moving!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear you like the music! I love it too, of course, but I sometimes wonder if it bothers visitors.

      Delete
  2. I feel EXACTLY the same, and have never articulated it quite so well :-) Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! I appreciate it a lot.

      Delete
  3. I completely understand! I am five foot two, my husband is six foot seven. Being around him makes me used to a large height difference so when around people only four or so inches taller than me I feel that I am their size. :) Enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel so darn normal now to hear all this feedback! I love it. I was feeling like some weirdo...

      Delete
  4. It is something I have to think about, like looking at students' behavior too. It never occurred to me that they might be feeling taller (or shorter) than they really are, & sometimes get into physical trouble because of that. Quite astute observation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my fourth grade students wrote about this topic last week on our classroom blog: He wondered "Why do people judge me because I'm short?" He ended his post by sharing an app he found where a little panda tells a big panda, "I'm not little. I'm fun size." What a great outlook on life! So, being short too, I'm liking the idea of being "fun size"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all about perspective, isn't it? I want to join the 'fun size' club too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...