Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

Hug Them A Little Tighter

As a hundred witty musings were whirring through my head, I read a tweet. It said that there was a shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. And I mused no more. Floods of disturbing details inundated my timeline and my heart.

This event is a tragedy. Every single time a deranged or calculating killer strikes out against the innocent public, we are yet again reminded of the brevity of life, the precious few moments we have with our loved ones, and that everyone makes a mark on everyone else's lives somehow--whether it is for good or ill.

I don't have any answers as to why this happened, but I do have some thoughts on how we can live each day so, that if it is our last one with our loved ones, we will be at peace as much as possible. On these occasions, I have often imagined myself in the position of the family of victims because of certain factors at play in my own life. These things really steal my breath away. I mean, what sets these people off? What does it look like in daily life when someone is about to crack in such horrific ways? Is it possible to see warning signs and what are they?  These are my thoughts. So, I have pondered on what I can do to live in a way that I might not have regret if my family is ever instantly taken from me, no matter the cause.

These suggestions are things I try to implement daily:

Hug your children every single day--no matter how naughty or irritating they might be. Hold them when they cry. Hug them a little tighter all the time.

Call, text, email, write a letter, tweet, post a message on Facebook--whatever--if you are thinking of someone and want them to know you care. Just do it. Now.

Be aware of people's feelings and try to help if they need to talk.

Be a friend to the friendless. Seek out loners and be as much of a friend as they will allow.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and encourage someone who seems more than just a little sad to get help.
 
The list could go on and on, but my point is there's nothing like piling up a mountain of I wish I hads only to be crushed by it when tragedy strikes.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in the Connecticut tragedy as well as all the others. Our society seems to be plagued with these type of terrible events. Please know that my prayers are with you.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...