Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

family reading



Scene One:
Run, run, running. All day. Taking on the world. Holding onto the old just a little longer than I should—until it hurts to think about all the change ahead. Receiving service beyond my ability to repay. So much service that I am in tears thinking about how much I've received. Driving and thinking and hurrying up. Until it's time to read…

Scene Two:
We stop everything. We open up a brand new book. It was even part of a box set, so the plastic wrap hadn't been off the package of greatness for long. The thrill of it all was almost too much. Getting pens for marginal notes. Fighting about this and that. Up and down the stairs. Trying to get everyone's attention. It feels like half a year has gone by since it was deemed time to read. 

Scene Three:
We read the line, "It was a dark and stormy night," and the thrill is made new. Such a thrill. And then the questions come. Why did the author do this? How do you say that? What is the name Fortinbras even doing in this book? Who even knows how to say Fortinbras properly?! Her name is actually Mrs Whatsit? Wow. I bet she's one of the ladies in the movie trailer. And we read and read and read. Taking on an imaginary world. Perking up after a long day. Hoping that the change ahead of us will be as good as our reading time together. 




8 comments:

  1. The structure you found from Stacey is a superb one to show the change of pace and emotions. Works very well for the book magic slice here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love this book! This was such an interesting way to write your slice. I love the structure and it made it so interesting. Thank you for such a lovely story about reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all glued to it on the second night of reading. I'm glad you liked my writing experiment!

      Delete
  3. My favorite book as a kid, and one that no other kid was reading at the time. I am feeling mixed about the movie -- you know that feeling when a book that had your heart is put on the screen and .... it doesn't live up? But I will still see it.
    My sons never enjoyed the book, and I have trouble explaining its pull on me. Still does.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nervous about the movie messing it up too. But maybe they'll get it right too, and then we can all rejoice. :)

      Delete
  4. The change of three scenes really highlights the change of pace in each. I hope your family enjoys the book! My son wanted to read it together before the movie came out, and it was definitely helped us end our days on a calming note.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...