Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

single rider



Riding roller coasters is something I relish, but it's not for the sake of riding them; it's because of how much fun I am having with the company I am with. The terrifying sections aren't as bad, and the parts when you get a good laugh seem even sweeter. Because I have experienced them with people I love, I never want to forget even the swings that for some reason strike me as a horrible torture. I will add that I certainly would never ride those crazy throwing you out into the wild blue yonder swings again unless I'm with someone I care about.



And the roller coaster is real. Up and down. Twists and turns. Making the best out of a scary stretch by screaming and holding on for dear life. We smile when we can; we laugh when we get that sinking feeling as we drop because we know its going to be alright; we hold our breath and at times grit our teeth when the rails up ahead look terrifying enough to take our breath away. Sometimes, hopefully only a very few times, we cry. Sometimes even the good things turn out to be difficult and nothing seems to be going right.

And then I stop to ponder why I'm not enjoying the ride as much as I ought . . .

Have you ever ridden a roller coaster alone? 

I have, and it just isn't the same being a single rider with no one to laugh with or hold onto their hand for reassurance as you scream all the way down to the bottom together. Reflecting on past experiences, I can see that I've never liked it, and I don't like it now. 

I plan on staying on this ride for its duration, but I sure look forward to having someone next to me.


Related Link:
Roller Coasters


4 comments:

  1. What an amazing analogy to life. I have to hold onto this one. I too have been on this roller coaster and needed the reminder that as tough as it has been, and even though my partner is not perfect, I am not alone....and for that...I need to stop and be thankful. I hope that you know that even though you may be alone in the physical sense, there are many of us out there, virtual friends for sure, that care....about all the ups and downs of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, riding the roller coaster of life with someone next to you is always the better option. Thank you the analogy you created in which positivity overrides negativity. Are you interested in writing for the Finding Fall Gallery? See http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2014/09/falling-into-place-as-season-turns.html for further information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved te ending of this piece. I love when a piece ends with a tie to a life lesson or a life reflection. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...