Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

Eventide: A Whimsical Book of Tales

Eventide (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #1)
Goodreads

I've been doing a bit of reading again and found a fun book you might enjoy. It's called Tales of the Dragon's Bard, Book 1: Eventide, even though we shall most certainly be referring to it as Eventide from this point on, okay?  This book is co-authored by a husband and wife Tracy and Laura Hickman. This factoid alone had my interest peaked. How much fun would it be to write a book with someone you love? It's definitely going on my Things to Do With a Real Husband list. So anyways, onto this book review business...

Things I Liked Most

I thoroughly enjoyed the tales within the tale style. You get these micro-bursts of characterization and next thing you know you're back in the regular story and vice versa. It was refreshing and surprising. The many sidenotes between and about Caprice and Jarod play out their struggle in a smart and jagged sort of way which I believe reflects real life; therefore, it was captivating and romantic. 

The character names were simply lovely: Ariela, Caprice, Jarod, Deniva, Beulandreus, and many more. Some of them don't roll off the tongue so well, but neither do the characters. They aren't meant to. Names are the first important part of characterization and these authors figured that out quite well.

Things I Didn't Like So Much

The side tracks, which I very much enjoyed, detracted from the flow of the story until I was able to catch the author's vision of the tales within a tale. After reading for awhile and getting frustrated a bit, it dawned on me and then it worked better. So I just want to give you a heads up in case you have a hard time following the overarching tale at first too.

And the Bard bugged me at times, although I have this funny feeling he is merely fulfilling the measure of his creation. 

Favorite Short Quote

You do know that there is a difference between notoriety and being notorious, don't you? 
-- Farmer Bennis
 Favorite Not So Short Quote

The best quests are those here, close to your heart. The quests in all those distant lands of story seem more important somehow because they are far away--but the quests that make a difference are the smaller ones in the places of power, glory, wealth, and magic that lie just around the corner from your own home. 
-- Farmer Bennis
It appears that I adore Farmer Bennis and his wit and wisdom, but I must tell you there are some other quotes by Jarod that take your breath away. I do not feel comfortable sharing them here because I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. And yes, I'm quite nice that way--sometimes.

Eventide is a light-hearted, whimsical read chock full of hilarity and adventure. I hope you enjoy it.

a few links to help you get your hands on a copy:

Deseret Book: Audio Book Download

Shadow Mountain

Amazon

p.s.
 
I have a giveaway going (just under the site banner) as we speak that you might want to take a peek at.

Disclaimer
I was given one ARC of Eventide for myself in exchange for this reveiw and one hardbound copy to give away to one very lucky reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...