Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

Seeking to Become -- May 2013

Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. 
2 Corinthians 3:2-3

At times throughout my life, I have not been an epistle--not an elegant nor didactic letter which is formal in nature. I have lived a life full of poor choices as well as problems not of my making. However, I have learnt to repent. Through faith and the power of Christ's atonement, I believe I now live a life that is closer to being an epistle of Christ. I do not claim anything close to perfection, but I do recognize my desire and actions to live a more godly life. 

Pondering on what it means to be an epistle of Christ causes me to wonder at what my life says to others who know me and, more especially, those who do not but look at my conduct for an example. I wonder about how my weakness for swearing might make someone think I am a hypocrite because I don't want people swearing at or around me. I wonder if my more heinous of sins causes others to think me a fraud as I work to live a righteous life. I wonder if my moments of brutal rudeness that I cannot seem to squash cause people to believe that the kindness I am striving to cultivate is forced or not genuine.

In contrast, I also wonder if the change I seek--to be more spiritual, kind, and even good--might help others to see how someone like me who is terribly imperfect might make changes in their life and succeed in many ways. That is my hope. 

My hope is that my life might stand as an epistle of hope, faith, and charity before I am finished here. 

The challenge this month is to seek out ways to become more like an epistle of Christ. I hope you will join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...