Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

SOLSC 2014: Strong Women

My heart is so full today. A great-aunt passed away and my mother's anniversary of her death is fast approaching. My thoughts are also turned to my great-grandmother as well as the grandmother I never knew who died when my mom was only 15 years old in this very same month.

I remember my Great Aunt Jean helping around the house when I was dropped off to spend time with her mother, my Great Grandmother Effie. I remember thinking of them as friends. As I recall it now, I must have always been an old soul, watching and making note of things like that. I was only between the ages of 3-6 when I would spend the night with my great grandma.

I don't really know why I would get sent over there. Maybe my mom knew time was short for my great grandma, and she wanted us to know each other since I couldn't know her mom. Maybe I was a handful since I already had three or four younger brothers at home by that time (depending on the year). Maybe I needed to be with older people who could be patient with my brooding ways. Regardless of why I went there, I learned a great deal at a young age about the importance of family and what it means to be a strong woman. I will always be grateful to Great Aunt Jean for showing me a shining example of how to be a dutiful and loving daughter.

March is a sacred month to me because of these great women who have left a path for me to trod that is decorated with a rich heritage and strewn with opportunities at every turn. I am who I am today because of them. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your great aunt. It is easy to see why your heart is so full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your least line....a path decorated with rich heritage and strewn with opportunities.....what a great tribute to the strong and wonderful women you certainly use as models for your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about the grandmothers and aunts in my life-the strong women who taught me how to live! PS-we have an Effie in our family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a lovely way to honor the strong women in your life. I think we learn from them even at a very young age. My grandmother continues to be my rock even though she is no longer here physically. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you honor the strong women in your life in this space. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...