Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

SOLSC 2014: Sick and Tired

My sweetie girl who has autism is sick. With my other children getting ill is not that big of a deal, but with her it is. She can't express how she is feeling, so a great deal of direct supervision is necessary to make sure she doesn't have a seizure, keeps on breathing, and gets better. Before now I haven't really thought about all that I have to do to take care of her when she's unwell. And the only reason I even started thinking about it is because I've been exhausted physically and mentally over the past several days. The majority of my day was spent caring for her and nodding off whenever she was resting. It reminded me of how people tell young mothers to sleep when the baby sleeps. Well, I 'm here to attest that it is good advice even when your baby is seventeen years old. I'd be totally psycho tired right now if I hadn't taken those couple of cat naps.

It's funny how we just do what is required of us and don't think about the details until there are adverse effects. I am so grateful for this girl and all the light and learning she provides that it never seems like work to help her. However, my yawning and inability to focus on anything when I do have a chance to think is proof that there is a toll being taken.

Hopefully tomorrow we will see a turning point and she will be well again! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope your baby (She'll always be your baby, even if she's a teenager or in her 50's!) feels better soon. I know how much work it is to take care of a child who is sick. Having one who cannot communicate with you makes it even harder. Glad you're taking advantage of cat naps when you can.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...