Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

singing to the prophet


Have you ever checked off a bucket list item you didn't even know would/should be on your bucket list until after it happened?

Today that happened for me.

I performed with a church choir that sang for a spiritual conference meeting for our neighborhood area called a stake conference. We practiced over the past 6-8 weeks to sing at this event, and even though the number of practices were few, I struggled to get there with all that is going on for my family. But I was especially invited by my friend, the choir director, to join, so I made a special effort to make it happen. And I am completely grateful that I did.

The choir members were all seated in the choir seats on the stand at the front of the chapel. People were flooding into the congregational seating. There were just a few minutes until the service was to begin, and then everyone arose from their seats. I didn't see what the cause was, but I was not going to be weird and not stand. I caught a glimpse of a man and woman who I hadn't seen at church but somehow knew them walking to take a seat just across from me…and then my brain caught up and realized it was the prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, who walked in with his wife, Wendy.

For anyone who has even heard of President Nelson, they know what a caring and spiritual man he is. And I never thought I'd ever get to sing for any prophet, let alone sing for them in my little neighborhood church house.

My heart is flooded with joy right now—for the opportunity, for my friend inviting me and my fortitude to keep going, and for the prophet to be so inspired as to come share his presence and wisdom with my friends, neighbors, and myself.

I want to add that I can't sing very well anymore, so I was hesitant to agree to joining the stake conference choir, but I decided to do my best and just give my heart to the effort. I am blessed now by the experience. When we were singing, President Nelson turned around from his seat as we were behind him and watched us sing. He smiled and looked at me as I was singing with the choir, and the spirit of rejoicing was great.

To be so close as I listened to the prophet speak about what we need to teach our children, about being good citizens and the importance of doing family history and sharing those stories, reminding us of the importance of reading from the scriptures with our children.

Then, when his wife and he were leaving after the meeting, he was shaking hands with the other speakers before they had to go, he stood directly across from me, and I was singing along with other people as the organist played "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" as he stood before me. I never knew I'd ever want to sing that closely and so personally to a prophet of God, but I just did it today.

I hope I never forget the strength and peace I felt as I stood in a prophet's presence.



3 comments:

  1. The question that leads off your slice strikes me as a proxy statement about faith. Thanks for sharing this moment that was so powerful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a comforting slice! Thank you for sharing the moment with us. I am reminded how faith plays such an important part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. Thank you for sharing your light.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...