Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

may I have seconds, please?


OR Part Two of the Edenbrooke Review

(click the link above to read Part One)

Have you ever fell in love with a book so ardently that you lost precious sleep over it, causing your eyes to blur, but you just have to finish it? I have, yet only a few times ever. And Edenbrooke is one of those books.

When I first picked up the novel to start reading, I only had a bit of time. It was in the afternoon and children were coming home soon, so I only read a few pages. I thought to myself: hmmm. This might be interesting enough of a read. I then proceeded to get overly busy as is typical for me and I didn't have any time to sit and enjoy any book of my choosing until the weekend. On that fateful Friday night, I opened Edenbrooke to where I had left off and read and read until I couldn't see straight anymore. My eyes were quite red and even sore. You say, she must have gone to sleep at that point. But I tell you I did not. I went to the kitchen made a cup of hot cocoa, got a snack to give me more energy, then washed my face with cold water so I could make it through the long haul. I got back to reading and read into the wee hours of the next morning (and lived to not regret it).


One of the magical parts of Edenbrooke is its characterization. I adore the main character. Marianne Daventry feels like a cross between the spunkiness of Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre's innocence to things of the heart. I like Phillip (even when he's being obnoxious); Cecily is irritatingly fabulous; however, neither are as enchanting as the lovely Marianne. When she gets herself into scrapes, she is the means of intrigue and hilarity.


Also, for some reason, Marianne reminds me of my friend Julie (not to be confused with Madame Julianne, authoress). There's this part in the story when Marianne is feeling especially happy and carefree, so she begins twirling around, then she hears a crunching sound nearby and explains:

I stopped moving and opened my eyes to find myself within an inch of having my eye poked out by a branch. I tried to move away from the branch but found my hair was stuck.
When I read it the first time, I had this vision in my mind of Julie doing exactly what Marianne had just done and I laughed. out loud. in a dead silent house. at like four o'clock in the morning. And yes, it was that funny.

I would now like to share my interview with the author and here is how it went:

The Purple Lady: What was your favorite part about writing Edenbrooke?
Madame Julianne: My favorite part of writing Edenbrooke was getting to know my characters. I often wrote extra scenes between Philip and Marianne just so I could understand their relationship better. They were very particular that I portrayed them accurately. They protested when I wrote them wrong, and I often went through a dozen takes on one scene until I finally got their approval. They became such good friends to me as I wrote their stories. I laughed at them, cried with them, and fell in love while they did.
The Purple Lady: Wow. I guess that puts some perspective on how immersed authors need to get in their writing for it to turn out as beautiful as Edenbrooke has.
Madame Julianne:  It was a purely psychotic experience which I hope to repeat time and time again as a writer.
The Purple Lady: If you had to pick just one favorite line from the entire novel, which one would it be?
Madame Julianne: My favorite line? That is so hard to choose. But this is a feeling Marianne had when she got her happy ending, and a sentiment that I can relate to:
 I felt as if I was a cup filled to overflowing. One more drop of joy and my soul would spill right out of me.

The Purple Lady: Technically, that's two lines, but we'll give you a break. Those are awesome lines. 
Madame Julianne: Thank you!
The Purple Lady: For the last question, tell us in one word how you felt when you found out your novel would be published.
Madame Julianne: My feeling when I learned that Edenbrooke would be published? I don't think I can find one word to describe it. Maybe two words: profoundly grateful.
The Purple Lady: I want to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to review Edenbrooke and interview you. It has been such a pleasure.
Madame Julianne: Thank you so much for making it personal and sincere.

Now that's a sweetie for you.

7 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of being so taken with a book. You described it very accurately. Now, how did you get to interview Madam Julianne?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have connections(She is a friend from hi gh school).

      Delete
  2. There is nothing quite like falling into a book and not wanting to leave it. I haven't heard of this title. Going to goodreads to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as my semester at school is out, I plan on reading it again. So So GOOD. After you read it, come back and share what you think on here. I would love to know your thoughts. (mini-bookclub)

      Delete
    2. Dana, Edenbrooke was just barely released, and Julianne Donaldson is a debut author, so it's not surprising that you have never heard of the book. Laura gave a couple of sites where you can find it. I know that amazon.com and deseretbook.com both have it. I was only able to get my hands on it when I did because I won an ARC in a giveaway on Laura's blog. I would HIGHLY recommend this book though. It is a MUST read! ;) Here are a few links to where you can find it. ;)

      http://www.amazon.com/Edenbrooke-Julianne-Donaldson/dp/1609089464/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332861208&sr=8-1

      http://deseretbook.com/search/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&x=0&y=0&query=edenbrooke#q=edenbrooke&page=1&sort=score&facets=

      Delete
  3. ***Warning...potential spoiler alert!!! ;)

    Having said that, I got about 170 pages in last night and I am absolutely IN LOVE with Edenbrooke!!! Trust me, I didn't even want to put it down when I did, but it was 1am and I knew that being responsible and going to bed was the smart thing to do...seeing as how life would be miserable come the am when my 21-month-old was ready to wake up. ;) Anyway, you are absolutely right about Marianne...a perfect combination of Elizabeth and Jane Eyre. I absolutely love her. Even moreso though, is the charming, handsome Philip...who I completely adore! You said in your review that you sometimes find him abnoxious, but I couldn't agree more. Every time he opens his mouth in the time that he and Marianne spend together (before Cecily's arrival at Edenbrooke), my heart melts. In my opinion, he is the perfect combination of Rochester and Mr. Darcy...humorous and flirtatious (like Rochester), yet he is a proper gentleman "in every sense of the word" like Darcy. I sincerely love him. ;) Hehe. One character that is seriously tugging on my nerves though is the self-indulgent, self-righteous, older (by 7 whole minutes) twin sister, Cecily. She reminds me a lot of Lidia (from P&P) in the fact that she is super spoiled and is always used to getting what she wants...paying no mind to the consequences or to who she hurts in the process. From the moment she arrives at Edenbrooke, my heart starts to break for Marianne...I am reminded of the angst that Elinor Dashwood felt in discovering that the infamous "Mr. F" (Sense and Sensibility) has been secretly engaged to Lucy Steele for 5 years. Marianne is forced to sit idly, silently and watch as her sister tries to make the man that SHE (Marianne) is in love with fall in love with her (Cecily). And because Marianne is so used to letting Cecily have what she wants (and because she genuinely loves her sister and wants her to be happy...a quality of selflessness that I love about Marianne), she concedes to sever her deep friendship (although at this point, it is really much more than merely that) with Philip. Oh, the agony. I can feel my heart breaking for her. Julie did such an amazing job of bringing the characters to life in a way that you genuinely fall in love with them...as if they were people you actually knew and loved. Her writing is so captivating and I cannot wait to read more! This book is a MUST READ for anyone who is a fan of the Regency era...anyone who adores the beloved works of Jane Austen and every other novel of that time. I give this book a very firm two thumbs up! I have already told Madison (My 11-year old who LOVES to read too...and is always watching P&P and S&S with me) about the book and she is anxious for me to finish so she can crack it open as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant that I couldn't *disagree more (with your comment about Philip being obnoxious). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...