Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

My Greatest Gift

 

What is your greatest gift? And why are you thankful for it? My greatest gift is my family—my children, my siblings, my future husband, my parents, my grandparents, my entire family tree. They make my life what it is. Without my ancestors paving the way to America, I would not be where I am nor have the American mentality that I do. Without my grandparents, I would not have the support and love I needed to grow in confidence as an adult. Without my parents, I literally would not be alive, but also I would not have some of my most needed traits like the fierce loyalty, love, and creativity that they instilled in me from a young age. Without my little brothers, I don't know who I would be even. That is a big statement, but it rings true as I think about how being their big sister, their only sister, has shaped my choices throughout my life—especially once our parents died. My role as the oldest in the family and a matriarch set upon me with more weight, and I still do not know what to do half of the time to fulfill what my parents would have me do, but I try. Every single day, I try to be the sister my brothers need. Without my children, I would feel as if I were living in a world where my dreams have not come true yet. I talked about having children since I was in high school as if I always knew I would be a mother someday, so it feels like I have been working on my most important calling in life as I grow into my role as a mother and friend for them. I am so thankful for all of my family. I have cousins who are like siblings to me. I have aunts and uncles who have filled in the holes of my heart where they are able. I have people who died long before I was born who made my life possible, and what a gift that all is. I can hardly contain the gratitude that wells up into my heart as I contemplate it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your thoughts...