Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

progress



Redefining what tastes good to me is one of my challenges in life.

I grew up eating whatever I want. My parents rarely, if ever, limited our sugar intake, and I have been known to refer endearingly to candy as Vitamin C. That all said, growing up (and older) is necessitating that I change if I don't want to die of heart disease and diabetes and other overindulgence-in-sugar related diseases.

What I'm striving toward is balance. I enjoy treats, so instead of going cold turkey, I keep my mind open to try to new things and get a new take on old things I already know I like—such as doughnuts.

Don't get me wrong. I still will eat a real doughnut, but I got this mini doughnut pan to see if we could get creative at home and do some replacing with healthier options. For example, I made banana bread doughnuts the other day. My banana bread recipe is reduced sugar, and it has whole wheat too.

That's just one of my adjustments. And maybe it doesn't seem like much to you. But I am proud of myself for working to change my palette. I think it's helped me to better appreciate when I do have a legit treat. And that's a serious win.





8 comments:

  1. First I want to tell you I love your graphic that you made for the slice of life of challenge. You inspired me to make my own. I used CANVA.

    I struggle with food myself. I have switched to intermittent fasting so I delay but don't deny. Those doughnuts look amazing in your photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I do admire your determination and perseverance. You value life and that is the reason for your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. You have such a healthy attitude about the change. Too often, people try to go cold turkey and end up binge eating-something that is ultimately more harmful than just eating in moderation in the first place. Way to go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried to enjoy tasty items in MODERATION. That can be difficult! I make sure I am not left alone with a bag of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is truly admirable! Your writing style is honest and comfortable. I feel as if I am sitting at your kitchen table having this conversation with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, the sugar detox is real. And I don't mean the whole "don't eat sugar ever" kind of diets I mean the kind where you just teach your body to eat less sugar. Once you get past that hump its amazing how your palette changes. A treat that used to be heaven will now kick you in the face with how overpoweringly sweet it is. I went through that recently so you have all my empathy.

    my slice: http://joolimammoth.blogspot.com/2019/03/slice-of-life-day-12-back-to-work.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too struggle with food but have decided my only hope is to almost eat it all....in moderation. Some things, bagels, donuts, cookies...are rare, rare treats!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...