Featured Post

This Phoenix Speaks

Seven years in the making, my first published book, This Phoenix Speaks , is now a reality. The tireless and tiring work invested to ma...

who I am




Someone gave me some advice the other day, and I haven't been able to forget it. They prompted me to be sure to remember who I am and not let my dream define me. I keep wondering what does that really mean. What defines a person? Who am I if I am not my dreams?

I am an eternal being of divine and infinite worth. I am deadly serious and hilarious. I am a perfectionist and imperfect. I am obsessed with purple and love all colors. I love hard and with tenderness. I am vivacious and irritating. I am a realist and a hopeful dreamer. Because I believe all of these to be true, I also believe that my dreams lead me to fulfill my divine role in existence.

No, I am not worth less if I don't get every single wish checked off my list. No, I am not worth less if a man on this earth never steps up. However, my good and worthy goals and hopes and dreams and even wishes, all, make up my path, and my path is part of me. I believe my path is a map of who I am and who I am becoming. You can learn a great deal about a person, who they are, by the things they dream about—the things they want in their life—what they want their life to look like.

What else can we use to know who we are? I wonder.


2 comments:

  1. Well said! I love how you describe yourself - the idea of your path is a map of who you are and who you are becoming. Langston Hughes advised us to
    "Hold fast to dreams,
    For if dreams die
    Life is a broken-winged bird
    That cannot fly.
    Hold fast to dreams
    For when dreams go
    Life is a barren field Frozen with snow."

    One of my favorite poets and poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the contrasts you draw about yourself: deadly serious and hilarious, perfectionist and imperfect. Keeping ourselves open to our contradictions within and holding onto dreams even as we try our best to live them, these are lifelong conundrums. I'd also have to wrestle with the meaning of that advice.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts...